Thursday, September 4, 2014

Ready or Not Japan, Here I Come!



I've finally made it! 

What am I doing here?

Hahahahahahahaha, I'm in Japan!

Why am I in Japan~?

I can't help but feel like Tangled's Rapunzel right after she left her tower: it's the greatest feeling, but what have I gotten myself into?!?
On the plane, leaving for Tokyo, Japan from Houston, Texas. After a 7-hour delay from my first flight from Huntsville, Alabama, I couldn't wait to get here. I got lucky enough to have no one sitting next to me, so I got to lay down and actually sleep comfortably. It was much needed considering the lack of sleep I had gotten the past two days. I kept my sister's lucky twin french braids throughout the entire trip as an attempt to control my curly hair...

Dramatics aside, coming to Japan has been an eight year dream and I can't believe it has finally come true! I'm probably like most people in that my interest in Japan started out with anime and manga (Japanese graphic novels). I've always been an avid reader and I do enjoy picture books, so it's no wonder that I devoured as much manga as I have. To give some perspective, I've read over 800 titles of manga in the past 7-8 years and continue to do so. 

But my interest for Japan has already gone beyond the enjoyment of the weird stories that can be found in the manga world. I am intrigued by the differences between American, Brazilian, and Japanese culture because they are so extreme. For instance, Americans could interpret Japanese standards of cleanliness as too strict and uptight. Changing shoes to go indoors and once again to go to the bathroom could seem nonsensical and even ridiculous (I, for one, enjoy being barefoot indoors - and outdoors - and I think I may begin to miss my slipper-free days. I'll have to make due inside my own room I guess :D). But at the same time, the Japanese could see American's lack of indoors shoes as extremely unhygienic and as dirty. 

Either way, I'm just hoping and praying I don't mess up too much (or in front of too many people). Thankfully, the other exchange students have also arrived, so we can get through this "new thing" together. 

I thank you for welcoming me Japan and may I be in your care! 

よろしくお願いします! m(_ _)m

No comments:

Post a Comment