Friday, December 12, 2014

Unintended Adventures

So, I have come to the conclusion that my life is an embodiment of both Murphy's Law and a perfectionist: I always get things done but damn, do I sometimes take the craziest route to get there.

Today (Dec 2nd...yea this post took a while to write), as usual, I had a bunch of free time after Grammar class, which ends at 2:30 PM. I got back to the dorm, caught up on my YouTube videos and responded to emails, messages, and what not. Now, if this was a typical day, I would be set up in bed, maybe even take a nap until dinner time (6:45 everyday~), and then return to said toasty bed and chillax until bedtime (ranging anywhere between 9:30 and...let's say midnight for my mom's sake ;P)

But nooooo~ today I wanted to do something different.

Two weeks ago, I had wanted to go to one of the local libraries to study for the proficiency/placement test in Japanese. But, apparently the public libraries are closed every 4th Monday, which it just so happened to be, It was also a holiday so it's possible that it wouldn't have opened even if it was any other day, but let's just focus on the coincidence for now.

As my chance to check out the library was cruelly stolen from me by fate (insert overly dramatic hand-on-forehead-pose), I thought that now was the opportune moment to go. I even took my backpack with my books and notebook to study. Look at me being a good student.

Off I went, with a sense of adventure and high hopes. Now, because I don't have 3G on my iPhone, whenever I am actually looking for a place, I am required to do a few things. First, I have to look everything up - the directions, the address, close up map - before leaving and somehow save it to my phone, usually in the form of a picture. Then I set specific landmarks I can see on the map with directions to locate myself when I am actually walking. Seven-elevens work great because there are so many of them and they always appear on the maps. And, while I am walking, I check said pictures and landmarks about 50 times before I finally decide that I am probably going in the right direction. (Even then I can't be too sure. Ask anyone, I'll go off in the completely opposite direction with full confidence and not notice until I realize that I'm not even in the same prefecture anymore.)

So this is the map that I had on my phone. I was too lazy to actually send it to my phone, so I just took a picture of my computer screen. High tech, I know.

I actually reached the first library without a hitch. It was a straight shot, which really helped in my case. I walk in and ask the librarian lady if there are any English novels, which were advertised on their website. She said that, since we were at the branch library, they had no English novels. I was a little disappointed but I shrugged it off and decided to find a place to study. The first floor was all children's books and music CDs, so I walked up to the 2nd floor to find a table. And what do I find out? There are a total of 6 tables in the entire library to study at. And, all of them are full. I was really surprised considering how much Japanese students study. 

Because it was a smaller library, I thought that maybe there was a lack of tables because it was so small. I decided to find another library that I had seen online. There was a 7-11 pretty close, so I walked over to access the GPS. This is where I really ran into trouble.

One of the problems with both Google and Apple Maps in Japan is that they have very few indications on the size of the road that is shown on the map. Unless it is a really big road, such as a highway, all roads look about the same. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem because, in the States, I would just count 5 roads on the right-hand side and then continue on to my destination without a hitch. But you can't do that in Japan. There are some tiny roads that barely look like they'd actually be able to fit a car. And these are two way streets! But does the map differentiate these? No, of course not. So if I'm trying to count 5 road on the right, I can easily end up ignoring 2+ roads that look like footpaths and end up in the middle of houses wondering where the heck I am.

I use Apple Maps to find a library further South, which I had seen before on Google maps. Now I typed in 図書館, which means "library." My phone quickly brought up results and said that the next library was about 22 minutes away walking. I thought, what the heck, it's close enough. So I walked. And walked. And walked. Now, I didn't lose my way. In fact, I followed the map to such perfection that I didn't even need to resort to finding the main road to find where I was. I was in the right place. And no library. There was a huuuuuge shrine though. (Which reminds me: I want to go back when it's daytime because the shrine looks awesome.) But yea, no library. I circled around a few times and eventually I asked an old man on the street if there was a library nearby. And what does he say. "Nope, not at all." -_-

Great, so I was cold and completely lost in the middle of a residential area. I quickly went to the main road and, luckily, there was a 7-11 nearby. I searched again and it pointed to the same spot. I actually walked back again just to make sure I wasn't mistaken. I was a little sad because I had really wanted to find a library close by to study in. So, I returned to 7-11 and searched on Google Maps for a library. And what does it do? Show me a library South about 20 minutes. I swear, technology was just playing with me. 

I did end up walking to the library and finding it...eventually. It was well hidden next to a middle school. And, like the other library, there was a general lack of seating. Despite walking about an hour, I never got a chance to sit down and study. And I was soo cold! I did find a mall though.

The mall was actually a life-saver because, lo-and-behold, it was a 7 & Holdings Mall, meaning that the whole thing had WiFi. And, considering I barely knew how I got there in the first place, it was nice to sit indoors and be able to access the internet to find out how to get home. I saw that it was 45 minute walk back and nearly cried. But then I remembered that Tokyo has this wonderful thing called a bus system that I could use.

Finding the bus stop was, once again, a  tad confusing, mostly because it was very unlike any other bus stop I had seen before. No overhang. I honestly thought I was just chilling on a random corner bench until another lady came and stood by the bus stop sign (which I had previously not recognized...along with the writing on the ground that said "Bus Stop"...shhh). After waiting 20-some minutes for the bus (which was late btw...-_-), riding it for another 23, missing the stop that was closest to the dorm, eventually getting off at the Ichinoe station stop, and walking for another 5 minutes, I was home. Frozen and tired, but home. 

And so I promised myself to only ever go exploring when I have a full arsenal of gloves, hats, and friends with 3G phones. >.< Or at least go during the day, when it's not as cold. It wasn't a bad trip, but definitely an unexpected one. 


As you can see, my trip was one involving navigating through various residential areas. Nagashimainari Shrine was the one I found when looking for the second library. See how far it is from the actual thing (at the bottom of the map)?

And so, as a memento of my chilly, trip, there are a few things I'd like to list about Japan that are fun facts:
  • You can find a shrine/temple anywhere 
I mean, anywhere. I've seen it in Akihabara (Akiba) sandwiched between high-rise buildings and tucked in dark alleys. But I don't think I've ever come upon as many as I did today. I, regretfully, didn't decide to take pictures of all the ones I found today. I saw one squeezed in next to the entrance to a building and another acting casual on a street corner. Sometimes I think that they are houses until I get to the front and see the tori (gates) that indicate the entrance to a shrine or temple. I'm always super awkward about it too. ^_^ For example, I always act like I shouldn't be there, but I'm trying to sneak peeks inside and take photos. I'm honestly waiting for the day some old grandma or grandpa comes up to me and starts telling me off for taking pictures. 


The shrine in this one is not as noticeable since there's a glare from the bus window. You can see the gate entryway at the bottom left of the glare.

 These last two were actually taken on different days. The one on the right was taken at Mitaka Inokshira Park and the one on the left was taken in Kamakura (more pictures coming in subsequent posts). But like I said, there are many, many random shrines throughout Japan.
  • Americana is found in the strangest of places
Really? Local game of pickup football (ok, not really pickup, but it might as well be!). A Denny's in front of the "Riverside Mall"? And don't get me started on all the stars and stripes I see. Scarves, hats, shirts, backpacks, bags, etc etc. The list goes on and on. I'm not upset about it, but I think people could lay off a bit on the American flag usage.


                        
Nothing like some good American Football, right?

Admittedly, I do get really excited when I see the Brazilian flag on stuff because it's so rare. I've only see it twice. Both times on backpacks. And once accompanied with an American flag baseball cap. My buddy!
  • Wearing headphones is great for eavesdropping
Ok, so I already knew about this but I was nicely reminded of it during my walk today. As I was using my big headphones as earmuffs, it was obvious that I was most likely listening to music. And for the most part, I was. But at one point, I had paused my music to think/see better while I walked. I realized turning off my music didn't really do anything, but when I'm lost, I need my entire brain to be thinking of how to get to the next 7-11 and not about how I should be dancing right now. Either way, music was paused and I was still walking past a good amount of people.

Apparently I had chosen the right time to walk because all the kids were delaying getting home, talking to friends on the corner and stuff. So, when I passed a group of girls just chilling at the corner, I didn't really think anything of it. But then I heard "...外国人!!" or gaikokujin, which means "foreigner." Although I've been here for 3 months, I've never once been called a foreigner to my face or even heard it around me in normal conversation. I think the Japanese know that it's one of those easily recognizable words that foreigners understand and thus probably try not to use it in our presence. But hey, throw some headphones on and they basically yell it right next to you. ^^  It wasn't insulting or anything, but it was funny to hear so bluntly.
  • Seven-eleven is the god of WiFi
If I see that Free WiFi sign anywhere in Japan, you know I'm pulling out my phone and taking it off of airplane mode right then and there. Outside of the College of Economics - which has been sucky recently - it's really rare to find WiFi in Tokyo. This honestly really surprised me. I come to one of the most high-tech cities on Earth and I don't get WiFi anywhere? Not even on my subway line? Why do the other lines get them, huh? What's so much better about them, huh? Subway line equality! Start the cause!!

Ahem...moving on. So yea, no WiFi. Until...7-11. Seven-eleven is the only convenience store to my knowledge that always has free WiFi. Heck, the mall I went to earlier was owned or run by 7 & Holdings (7-11) and the whole place had WiFi. If I wasn't trying to figure a way how to get home without having to walk 45 minutes, I would've been in phone paradise. The only way I found anything today was thanks to hopping between 7-11's along my route. And they even have it without annoying registration antics (like the Toei Bus WiFi...which I also use :D).
  • Apple Maps
Yea, they say they're there to help. Ya know, point you in the right direction. Well psssht to you. Since when did a shrine, a very night-time creepy one with a graveyard, become a library, huh? Who said that was ok? Not cool bro...not cool.

I feel like there may have been more, but I wrote a lot more than I expected to, so for now it is good enough. Now that my fingers have regained feeling - for the most part. You guys will never see all the typing errors I have to fix :P - I'm going to go ahead and turn on the heater in my room so that I stop shaking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment