Sunday, February 22, 2015

Random Daily Thoughts

Hey hey!

Today I decided to do a post on just a random assortment of things that I've found interesting, funny or just downright weird in Japan! 

To start off with: I got my hair cut this weekend! 
Back to the flat bangs!

Although it doesn't really seem like much, I felt like it was a great achievement because it's been something I've been thinking of doing forever but just couldn't pluck up the courage to do it. It wasn't the fact that getting a hair cut it scary but I wasn't sure how I should go about telling them what I wanted and then, on an even worse level, engaging in the small talk that all hairdressers give. That was absolutely terrifying! 

Eventually I just convinced myself it would be okay (of course, only after looking up the correct sentences and vocabulary about 50 times). 

And guess what?

It was awesome!!! The guy who cut was my hair was super chill and was really understanding that I might not be able to chat in the same way as the other Japanese customers. And I don't know if it's because my Japanese has actually improved or if it's because he asked pretty standard questions and used vocabulary I actually know. I hope it's the former. :D

There was one thing that I thought was weird. I don't know if you've ever gotten your hair shampooed at a hair salon (most girls probably have. I don't really know about the guys...), but, in case you haven't, here's how it generally goes. You sit in a special chair that allows you to lean back while the hair person washes your hair.

While that itself wasn't different - save for the chairs here being sooooo much more comfortable! - what was different was the fact that here they put a paper like-cloth over your face while this happens. I honestly felt like a dead person whose face just got covered. I honestly have no idea why they do that, although maybe it's to reduce the awkwardness of just laying there? I've never felt awkward but who knows, the Japanese can be very particular about some things. ^^' And throughout, in true Japanese style, he kept warning me when he would pick up my head (to shampoo the back), when he'd set it down, when he'd rinse, randomly asking if everything was ok, etc etc. I was honestly using all of my concentration skills to know when I was supposed to answer and when it was ok to just stay quiet. When I wasn't trying to burst out laughing underneath the face paper that is. XD

Either way, I'm really happy with the result and I sort of wish I had gone earlier (just so I could go again later ;p).


The second thing is about elementary school kids! (Not creepy, I swear!)

Elementary kids here are required (I think) to wear bright yellow or hats before and after school. I think it's a sort of warning, not only for cars to be more aware, but also for people in general. I think it helps to make the younger kids everyone's collective responsibility while on the road or sidewalk. 

And honestly, it's pretty necessary. I am surprised everyday when I see super young kids walking to school by themselves. I'm talking about kindergarteners as well, not only elementary school kids. Completely alone. It's a crazy amount of trust in the kids and in the community. 

But anyways, the funny thing about the hats is that kids up to the last year before junior high wear them. Which means there are some tall 12 year olds who walk around in the same hats that 6 year olds are walking around in. And it's even funnier when they are taller than the teachers, as you can see in the picture below. (^∇^)

As you can see, very noticeable from a distance. Also, ignore the total stalker shot. 


Mmm, I guess the last thing I'll talk about this time is about construction in the city!!

Real exciting, I know :p but honestly I think it's pretty cool to compare construction between countries. Maybe it's because I've been hearing about construction in Brasil a lot. Plus I just like seeing houses built. Huh, I might be in the wrong major. Haha...ha...hah... -_-

Moving on. So, on my walk to Mass on Sundays, I've been passing a house that's been slowly being built. It's been really fun to see because it's like I got to see the actual layout of a japanese house (unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to visit a friends house so I've never actually been inside a house here ^^'). And, like always, I am surprised at how tiny it seems! Check out the first floor for yourself!

I was really scared to take this picture because I don't know how Japanese 
people feel about it. Usually they're really big on privacy so...

Another thing that happens when there is any sort of construction is that the whole building gets covered in a metal-mesh contraption. It does matter if a building is being built or if only one room is being fixed, the whole building gets covered. It actually reminds me of those termite tents that get put around infected houses...even though it really looks nothing like it...  It's just interesting to see random buildings completely covered as you walk down the street. :)

This blue building is actually the same as the first floor picture above. Finally getting the walls up!

And that ends this blog post! I know it was pretty random but honestly it's these kind of things that make me feel like I'm actually living here. For instance, doing normal stuff like getting a hair cut or buying contact solution (which I finally found at a 7-11...came through for me again ^^) is what makes me feel less like an exchange student and more like a resident. That is what's most enjoyable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment